How do I know if homeschooling is right for my family? Listen to episode 32 of Redeeming the Chaos below, or keep reading to find out!
WELCOME TO EPISODE 32 OF REDEEMING THE CHAOS WITH LAURIE CHRISTINE.
SHOULD I HOMESCHOOL MY KIDS? IS HOMESCHOOLING RIGHT FOR MY FAMILY?
Have you ever thought about homeschooling your kids? Maybe you’re on the fence and just not sure if homeschooling is the right fit for your family. You may be wondering: “Am I cut out for this? What if I fail? What if I mess up my kids?”
Just a disclaimer, I do not homeschool my kids, but I have the utmost respect for those who do. And I know with so many things going on in our culture and society today, a lot of you listening may be considering homeschooling in the future. So how do you know if homeschooling is right for your family?
In our episode today, I am chatting with Katie J. Trent, an author, speaker, and leader in the homeschooling community. She will help us sort out the answers to these questions.
Katie J. Trent is the author of Dishing up Devotions: 36 Faith-Building Activities for Homeschooling Families, and a leader in the Christian homeschool community, outside of Phoenix, AZ. She draws on a wealth of knowledge and experience from over a decade of counseling, ministry, and church planting, in order to equip women to grow their faith, strengthen their families, and simplify their homeschool journeys.
Katie was also one of the guest bloggers who participated in my Family Fruit Challenge over the summer, so I am so excited to be able to have her on the show today.
DISHING UP DEVOTIONS – 36 FAITH-BUILDING ACTIVITIES FOR HOMESCHOOLING FAMILIES
Katie’s new book, Dishing Up Devotions, releases on October 26th. But if you pre-order it NOW, you’ll receive a Bonus Bundle that includes 140 pages of additional family faith-building activities! You can order Katie’s book on Amazon HERE (affiliate link) and you can check out the Bonus Bundle HERE.
What Katie has to say about Dishing Up Devotions:
Homeschooling is a challenging journey that’s often misunderstood. The thirty-six weeks that parents have to educate their homeschooled children don’t just come together magically. There are lessons to plan and oversee, records to keep, routines to follow, and kids to motivate. It can feel overwhelming as the teaching parent—usually Mom—tries to tackle both the educational and spiritual aspects of the children’s lives while also keeping up with household tasks such as cooking and laundry.
Dishing Up Devotions: 36 Activities for Homeschooling Families infuses faith and fun to strengthen family relationships while nourishing the teaching parent’s soul.
It features thirty-six weekly devotions, faith-building activities for the whole family, and baking recipes connected to the weekly character theme.
Author Katie Trent’s goal is to take the stress out of homeschooling with a devotional that the whole family will love through:
* Encouragement from other homeschooling parents
* Biblical lessons even toddlers can understand
* Interactive family activities
* Delicious baking recipes related to the weekly theme
Homeschooling just got easier—and deliciously fun!
Dishing Up Devotions Pre-Order & 140 page Bonus Family Faith-Building Bundle: https://www.katiejtrent.com/dishing-up-devotions-pre-order-bundle-fulfillment/
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF HOMESCHOOLING
- Time with family
- Being the primary influence in lives of kids
- Able to differentiate instruction for different kids
- Kids are able to learn at their own pace and not be forced into a rigid sequence or structure
- Parents are able to encourage and nurture God-given talents and abilities
HOW DO I SUSTAIN MYSELF THROUGH HOMESCHOOLING?
- Know your “why.” Why are you homeschooling?
- Who do I want my kids to become?
- What do I want their faith to look like?
- What character qualities do I want my kids to have?
- Equipping your children to change the world
- You’ll never regret investing extra time in your kids lives
WHAT ARE COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT HOMESCHOOLING?
- I’m not smart enough or capable enough to teach my kids
- No one knows your kids as well as you do
- No one is invested in their success as much as you are
- You are their first and best teacher
- It’s okay to re-learn content alongside your kids!
- I can’t do it because ________.
- (I need to work full time, I’m a single mom, etc).
- School doesn’t have to be six hours a day… homeschooling only takes a few hours a day!
HOW DO I KNOW IF HOMESCHOOLING IS A GOOD FIT FOR MY FAMILY?
- Anyone can homeschool, but it might not be a good plan in this season of life.
- If you feel God is nudging you in the direction of homeschooling, you should at least investigate the possibility.
- Trust God to give you wisdom to make the best decisions for each of your kids on an individual basis.
- Write out your fears.
- Do you want to do it?
- It’s always okay to go back to traditional school!
- Google “Homeschooling in your state” to see what the requirements are.
- Consider the needs of your kids – where will they best be served?
NEXT EPISODE: HOW TO BE INTENTIONAL ABOUT DISCIPLING YOUR KIDS
Stay tuned for our next episode of Redeeming the Chaos where I will continue my discussion with Katie J. Trent. We will talk about how to be intentional about discipling your kids, and ideas specifically for boys!
KATIE’S LAUNCH TEAM
I had the privilege of being part of Katie’s book launch team! Here’s a little clip from one of her promos, highlighting the members of the team. Thanks Katie! 🙂
LISTEN TO RECENT EPISODES OF REDEEMING THE CHAOS
Episode 31 – How to Plan Manhood Ceremonies
Episode 30 – How to Guide Your Son on His Journey to Manhood
Episode 28 – Four Mistakes Moms Make with their Teenage Sons
Episode 27 – Three Things Your Pre-teen Son Wants You to Know